Sunday, June 28, 2015

My Oily Summer Begins

I grew up in a place where it's virtually summer all year round. Also, where I come from, you only get 2 weeks of vacation a year, maybe up to 6 weeks if you are in school. Here in Florence, Italy, I have to abide by the rules of nature which constantly changes throughout the year. 

It's summer now! Something I am familiar with. The temperatures hover around 32 ยบ Celsius in this month of June.  It's when many Italians head out to the beach.  For some artists like myself, we choose to spend our time painting in the great outdoors! There is no better way to learn from nature itself! I just spent 2 weeks assisting in a landscape workshop here in Florence. These are some of the highlights. 



Warm-up copy practice before the outdoor sessions began.


This is the Soltek Easel I use. No complains at this point. 
(Am I missing cast painting?)


 This view of Palazzo Vecchio is from the Bardini Gardens. 


I was tired of painting greens, so I painted one of the students instead.


This piece done at the big park in Pratolino reminds me of concept art. 
The sculpture in my painting is called Il Gigante.


Some of the participants right by the Arno river painting a sunset.

Painting a sunset requires a lot of anticipation or painting ahead of time,
 before the magic hour from about 8.00pm - 9.00pm.



To follow more of my plein air works, click the link below:



No comments:

Post a Comment