Sunday, June 30, 2013

Roaming Rome

I took a regional train to Rome from Montepescali. Arrived on a Sunday noon and checked in the hostel. I started walking and sketching and ended up at St Peter's Square. Here, I observed tourists and pilgrims enjoying the warm Sunday afternoon shine, while I flipped over to a spread in my sketchbook to do a panorama.

It's been about 15 years since I last set foot on this ground.  It's good to be back here, this time armed with my sketchbook, watercolours, ink and pencils.


This is one of the places I've always wanted to sketch.


The result of the panorama.


Inside St Peter's Basilica is the tomb of Papa Giovanni Paolo II next to the Pieta (above). Apparently, he was moved up from the tomb for the popes in the basement as he was causing a jam below. :) He is going to be canonized this October. 




No comments:

Post a Comment